Wednesday, December 21, 2022

AI Images - Deeply Sexist, and Racist Too

It's not a Question - It is a fact.

At least that's what my eyes tell me when I look at the results of these prompts.  I saw effectively the same results from Jasper.ia as well.

I keep seeing articles from the last few years asking, inquisitively, "Is AI Racist?"  Or, "Do we need to be worried that AI Might be Racist?".  

Is it racist if you consider 100% of doctors to be white?  And almost 100% men?  I think with numbers like that we can call it.  We could do studies and put together detailed statistics to measure how sexist and racist it is, but the results seem pretty clear.

What I did

I started by asking ChatGPT to write me a python script that could download pictures from Dall-e, given a specific prompt.  I then set it the task of downloading pictures for words like Doctor, Lawyer, Celebrity, Politician, etc.

While those pictures were being downloaded, I asked it to write me a script that could assemble those into groups of images so that I could see them as a collage and view them as a group.

I've included the images below, but here's the score card.

Prompt Women Black People Meaning
Lawyers 0% 0% Exclusively white men in Suits
Politicians 0% 0% Exclusively white men
Actors0% 0% Exclusively white men
Investment Bankers 0% 0% Exclusively white men
Chefs 0% 0% Exclusively white (passing) men
Doctors 4% 0% Mostly white (passing) men
Athletes 4% 12% Mostly white (passing) men
Poor People 0% 12% Mostly white (passing) men
Rich People 0% 9% Mostly white (passing) men
Teacher 75% 0% Mostly white (passing) women
This is apparently where all the Women are.
Good People -- -- Circle Headed Cartoon People
Bad People 6% 3% Mostly Cartoons

Decide for yourself.

Dall-e Prompt: "Doctor" 

I could find only 6 women, a few people of color, and literally no black representation at all.



Dall-e Prompt: "Female Doctor"

It is capable of creating female doctors - it apparently just doesn't consider "doctors" to include female doctors for the most part.

It is capable of creating female doctors, but doctor means white, male doctors (as currently trained).

What does DALL-E consider to be a Lawyer?

Dall-e Prompt: "Lawyer in a court room"



Dall-e Prompt: "Politicians"

Exclusively white men.



Dall-e Prompt: "Chef"

Exclusively white men and cartoons.





Dall-e Prompt: "Politicians"

White (mostly old) Men.


Dall-e Prompt: "Actor"

All white men as far as I can tell



Dall-e Prompt: "Athlete"

I found 2 women and 2 black people.




Dall-e Prompt: "Teachers"

Apparently all the women are Teachers to the AI's?!?  Not professors, but mostly grade school teachers, as far as I can tell.





No comments:

Post a Comment